Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Our Story - Part 2

(read part 1 below if you are interested in hearing the whole story)
We moved to Mobile in May of 1997 and I started summer classes.  Oh, and we were living in a townhouse together.  I met a few girls that summer that I started spending time with.  I really saw a difference in their lives and how they lived and what they talked about.  When fall classes started they invited us to a picnic that Campus Outreach was having to welcome the students back and meet the new ones.  John wanted to play intramural football and one of my friends had told me that a guy there was putting together a team.  So he decided to go with me.  I remember meeting JK for the first time.  He was flipping burgers and he said "My name is Jonathan King, but just call me JK."  He had that sheepish grin on his face that now is so endearing to my heart.  We met several people that day and had a blast.  Some of those people have become our life long friends (even though we stink at keeping in touch Todd Russell!!!). So John began to play football with JK and his team.  Several girls starting initiating time with me as well.  At this point, I would have told you that I was already a Christian and was ready to re-dedicate my life to Christ.  For me, now the big part was getting John - who said something drastic would have to happen for him to believe there was a God - to believe.  John came home from the first practice and said JK approached him afterwards and started talking to him about God.  He said it was ok and JK challenged him to read the book of John.  So he did - and well after a thousand conversations with JK the drastic thing had happened.  
JK came over to eat dinner with us one night (I remember he was wearing this red Alabama sweatshirt - that he was wearing at my house this last Christmas 10 years later :))  He talked with us alot about the book of John and clearly shared the gospel with us.  For me, I realized that the key thing I was missing was not the belief in God but the lordship surrender.  That night, October 27, 1997, John and I both prayed to receive Christ together.  

No comments: