Friday, December 12, 2008

Are you going to kill me?

This picture is not relevant to this story other than the fact this story is about Jake. It is just a picture of him doing 2 of his absolute favorite things : climbing trees and making silly faces. On to the story....


We all know that seasons of our lives happen in which things don't go just so so and chaos seems to take over. Well John and I are coming out of one of those seasons. The work on this house was more than we expected and it took all that we had in every way. This left very little for us to give to the boys so they got appeased alot. Discipline was almost nonexistent (mainly because I felt like we were provoking alot of their behavior because of our absence), playtime with mom and dad just didn't happen either. So needless to say the boys have been attention starved and well just wild!!! So now that we are resuming regular life we have had to bring in the reigns with them and that requires consistency. John and I are committed to using the word of God to convict the boys hearts. We don't want to just change their behavior (well most of the time:)) Lately we have had some trouble with Jake playing us against each other. I will say no and he goes and ask John. He has been disciplined for this for several weeks. Last week, I was reading the chapter in For Instruction in Righteousness on defiance and I read Duet. 21:18-21. Basically, it is a section on how to deal with disobedient and rebellious children. It was pretty profound. They were instructed to carry these children to the elders and they were to be stoned so that all evil was purged from among them. Last night, Jake decided to play us again while we were out to dinner. When we got home, John sent him to his room and we came in there are read these verses to him. First he ask us what it meant to be stoned. Then he looked up at me, a bit nervously and ask "Are you going to kill me?" He was serious but I had to turn my head and contain myself from laughing. While I did this, John began sharing the gospel with Jake. How we don't have to die anymore because Jesus died for him. I really believe that the profoundness of these verses really made Jake understand Jesus death just a bit more. He knows that God's word is what tells us how to live in a way that honor and glorifies God. He knows that we read him verses that direct his discipline many times. So when we read these verses to him, he seriously thought that was what would happen to him. And then we were able to talk about the sweet gift that Jesus gave him. I pray that God's word does not return void and that the truths of God's word and what Jesus did for Jake will grip his heart and that he will fall in love with the Jesus that died for his disobedience and rebellion!!!!

2 comments:

Holly S. said...

You just have to love Jake! What a beautiful story!

Kristin said...

What a great story... I need to share the very same thing with John David soon... I love that Jake and John David are so close in age! I learn so much from your experiences with him. It seems like you're always just a little ahead of me... !! I guess because Jake is a few months ahead of JD. (And because you're so wise :).)