Friday, December 12, 2008

Farmers Market Finds

All this for $40.00!!!!
Last week we were in Bham. John had a meeting and so me and the boys ventured to one of our favorite spots - the state farmers market. Yes it stays open year around and my little Mexican friends have some great deals. We got 1/2 bushel of orange bell peppers and 1/2 bushel of yellow bell peppers for $8 each. The 1/2 bushel of apples was 8, the oranges were 12 and the onions were 4. Eating healthy is so expensive these days. I bought this stuff and came home and spent a day in my kitchen slicing and freezing and cooking (the apples) and I ended up with 4 gallon size bags each color of the bell peppers, and onion and about 12 family portions of cooked apples to use for dessert or applesauce. We love cooking with peppers and onions and this way I don't have to chop them each night and they don't go bad if we don't use them right away. Instead I go to the freezer pull out what I need and start cooking. They are flash frozen before I put them in the bag so they don't stick together. This saves me tons of time and money in the long run. The colored bell pepper is usually over $1 each. I got about 25-30 for $8. It just took 1 long day in the kitchen and I am set for about 6-8 months!!!! Oh if you live in bham and are interested I will tell you where exactly to go find my friends!!!!

6 comments:

Meagan said...

Which market did you get the sweet buys???Great idea, sounds like a plan....

Kristin said...

I'm trying to catch up, Amy! I've been missing from Blogland... You've got so many good posts to read!

This is a GREAT idea. I'm about to sound like a dummy, but what does "flash frozen" mean?

Laura said...

Yummy! It took me a second to see if they were real or toys! I thought you guys may have been playing farmer's market!

Lindsey said...

my mom got the pj's and robe from gap, probably online. hope that helps. have no idea the cost?! hope you guys are doing well.

Meagan said...

Thanks Amy for the info about the farmers market, you know I was raised most of my life just north of birmingham in hayden and have never been to the farmers market...

Laura said...

How much will one of those macs set you back?